What are Gumroad's fees?
Long answer short: It depends! This page will explain the nitty-gritty of our fee structure.
Using Gumroad for free?
If you opt to use Gumroad for free, you will be able to:
- Create an account and create as many products as you want
- Sell as many products as you want
- Send out 4 updates per month
- Set up 1 workflow
- Customize the colors of your product backgrounds and background
Then the fee we take on each sale will be 8.5% + $0.30 (USD) per sale.
Using Premium Gumroad?
If you opt to use Gumroad's premium features (learn more here), which start at $10/month (or $108/year), the fee we take on each sale is 3.5% + $0.30 (USD) per sale.
The premium features you'll receive are:
- Unlimited Updates and Workflows
- Custom CSS and update customization
- 3rd Party Analytics
- Custom delivery products
- Importing customers and audiences
Using Gumroad Discover
The Discover feature, which recommends your products to customers of similar products, and to your own customers, tacks another 10% fee on top of your existing fees. Thus:
Gumroad creators using Gumroad for free will pay 18.5% + $0.30 on every sale made through the Discover feature.
Gumroad creators using the premium version of Gumroad will pay 13.5% + $0.30 on sales made through the Discover feature
You can see where these sales are coming from by exporting a CSV of your sales. Learn more about that here.
What about affiliate sales?
If you are using our Affiliates feature, the breakdown works like this:
1. Your affiliate will share a link, and a customer will click it. They will buy your product.
2. We take our fee from the sale - this fee will be whatever your standard fee is.
3. The affiliate will now receive the percentage of the sale you have allocated to them.
4. You will be paid the remainder.
1. Do I HAVE to pay for Gumroad?
A: No. You can use Gumroad for free, or you can pay for the premium level of Gumroad and receive lower per-sale fees.
2. If I don't pay for premium Gumroad, what file size limits do I have?
A: There are no file size limits based on what level of Gumroad you are using. The largest single file you can upload to Gumroad is 16GB. There are no limits to how many files you can upload to Gumroad.
If you create a product that's a "Pay What You Want" product - in other words, its price is "$0+," the product can only be 25 MB in size.
3. If I pay for Premium Gumroad, do I still have to pay PayPal fees when I get paid out? Or do I have to pay PayPal fees on my customers' purchases?
A: The fees you pay to Gumroad cover ALL fees to PayPal. That means you do not pay PayPal for anything, ever. When we transfer money to your account, WE pay the fees PayPal deducts from every transaction and you will receive 100% of what is in your Gumroad balance.
4. What happens to my fees when I issue a refund?
We refund your customer 100% of what they have paid.